.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, California, United States

Web reprint rights to my blogs and stories will be readily granted to educational and non-profit institutions, and to individuals for non-profit use if you will send me an email requesting permission to do so. My late wife owned and operated Graceful Exits Estate Appraisal & Liquidation Services in San Francisco, and since the website content is still helpful to so many people, I left it up and you are cordially invited to visit it at http://www.graceful-exits.com

Sunday, January 09, 2005

The Boy Who Honored His Parents

Copyright 1978 by Peter Childress

A young man came unto his Master's house to escape from his ill-tempered father who, being a liar and a bully, beat him mercilessly without just cause.

"Grandfather," said the boy, after paying his respects to the old man, "I am confused, and come to you for counsel. The Scriptures command me to honor my father and my mother, yet they are but thieves and drunkards, and mistreat me so that I hold them in contempt. Am I committing a sin in the eyes of God, that I hold them not in respect?"

The Master contemplated the words of the boy, and knew them to be sincere, and true, for they carried the weight of a burdened heart. So he closed his eyes that he might be alone with God, for he knew the words that issued from his mouth would deeply affect the life of the young man before him,and he asked for wisdom from God that he might not lead the boy astray.

After a time, the old man opened his eyes and gazed at the boy, saying: "My son, the Scriptures are guidelines given to man, not for the purpose of limiting him in his life,but to uplift him in Spirit, and so bring the Peace of God into the earth. That the Commandment to honor thy father and mother has brought confusion to your mind and heart, rather than peace, shows only your misunderstanding of the Law. For the Commandment is not to worship your parents despite their flaws, but to live your life in such a manner that it brings honor upon them whether or not they have brought honor upon themselves."

The young man heard the words of the old and his heart was lightened. And so he left his Master's house to enter the world with understanding, bringing honor in his life not only to his parents, but even unto his own children.

And thus was the world brought closer to the Peace of God.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home